Train Wood is situated in the North of Norwich, directly across the River from Wensum Park, It is one of the closest wooded areas to Norwich city centre. The wood itself bisects the area between the City Trading Estate and the River Wensum; shielding the park, Drayton Road and St Martin’s Road from views of industrial buildings and shuttering on the estate, The Northern end finishes at Dolphin Bridge, the site of the former A frame railway bridge, continuing the green wall that is formed by Anderson’s Meadow. The Southern end of the wood is the entrance to Marriott’s Way, Next to Halfords on the Barn Road Roundabout, once the site of the Main station concourse and Platforms of the old city station.
Much of the area to the West was formerly terrace housing, local shops and businesses, this was all damaged by bombing during the Second World War, the area was rebuilt more of less based on the Norwich City 1945 Plan, trying out new methods of combining different building types with a combination of business and residential land. The nearest other green-space is off Midland street, which is a managed park, and another small Park at St Bartholomews, an old church yard and ruined church.
As it stands the Woodland and Marriott’s Way provide a green corridor for commuters to walk or cycle in from the North of the city. Together with Anderson’s Meadow it provides a long continuous area of wood and grassland that gives a welcome break from pavements and buildings, with River view along nearly the whole length.